Friday 13 February 2015

Review: JFK-LAX in Qantas Premium Economy Class

There's nothing like an upgrade to put a smile on one's face, especially on a long flight.

We're flying Qantas from New York to Melbourne. The first leg is a six-hour flight across the breadth of the USA to LAX, where we'll change planes.

Premium Economy in our Boeing 747-400 is tucked into its own small section between a galley and the Economy Class seats behind.

You can't guarantee there won't be screaming babies and other such hazards in this class of travel, but it seems less likely than in Economy.

The calm and compactness of the section is indeed very soothing.

Also appreciated, of course, is the extra space that comes with Premium Economy.


I can fully stretch out my legs without touching the seat in front, and there's sufficient seat width that Narrelle and I are able to sit comfortably side by side without being mashed into each other.

Entertainment is provided by a screen which swivels out of one armrest.
 
There's a good mix of movies, and I'm pleased to see a category devoted to Australian films.

Since I've just departed New York, however, I decide to revisit the streets of Manhattan via The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Dinner is a choice of salmon or cannelloni filled with ricotta, and I choose the latter. It's excellent. Tasty and filling, and matches well with a glass of Margaret River chardonnay.

As I've discovered on other flights, Qantas' interpretation of Premium Economy is very good, a distinct cut above Economy Class.

It's been a very pleasant way to travel between two great American cities.

Now it's time to switch onto an Airbus A380, and head home.

Disclosure: I paid for my own flight but was upgraded to Premium Economy by Qantas.

No comments:

Post a Comment