Friday 29 November 2019

Street Art of Melbourne

Over the past few weeks I’ve been undertaking my first Lonely Planet research gig for a few years - updating sections of the Pocket Melbourne guide.

It’s an interesting experience updating a travel guide to your own city. In previous years I’ve updated overseas locations for LP, so typically I’d do several weeks of intensive research in that country, followed by several weeks of intensive data entry at home.

Because I’m doing this particular job from my own home, I can spread out the work and intersperse research days with data entry days. The results of my research will appear in the book, of course, but over the course of my walking I’ve noticed a lot of interesting street art as I’ve wandered through the inner-city streets.

Melbourne is famous for its colourful murals and other informal open-air art, so I thought I’d share some of what I saw here...

Day 1: Fitzroy and Collingwood

 

 

 


Day 2: East Melbourne and Richmond

 

 

 


Day 3: South Yarra, Prahran and Windsor

 


... and a side-trip to East Brunswick:


... and a bonus entry from Footscray (Go the ’Scray!):


Melbourne really is a city of murals. Keep an eye on its unassuming alleyway walls when you visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment