Friday 24 November 2017

Vancouver Eating

On this trip I was hosted by Destination Canada (destinationcanada.com), Destination British Columbia (HelloBC.com) and Tourism Vancouver (tourismvancouver.com).

On my recent visit to Vancouver, Canada, I had the opportunity to eat at some great restaurants. Here are three I liked - add them to the list for your next Van visit:

1. The Acorn. On my first day in Vancouver, I joined a mural tour in the Mount Pleasant district, then walked along Main Street to this excellent vegetarian restaurant (recommended by Vancouverite colleague Nikki Bayley).

It's a great place, with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere and an informal decor - on the hot sunny evening I visited, the windows were open to catch the breeze, so there was a sense of being connected with the street life outside.

Of the dishes, I particularly enjoyed the beer battered halloumi with zucchini and potato pancake, smashed peas, mint yogurt, and lemon balm. It looked - as intended - like a clever vego tribute to fish and chips:


Find it at: 3995 Main St, Vancouver. theacornrestaurant.ca

2. Harvest Community Foods. Two nights later I was ready to leave on The Canadian sleeper train to Jasper, part of a long rail and ferry journey up to Alaska and Yukon. It made sense to eat near Pacific Union Station, so this simple eatery on the edge of Chinatown was ideal.

Harvest focuses on healthy, sustainable produce, just what I needed. When travelling, it's easy to make poor food choices, but everything here looked great...


... so I went for a tofu dish, with a nut-based side salad, and a glass of home-made grape and green tea kombucha:


Find it at: 243 Union St, Vancouver. harvestunion.ca

3. Maenam. When I returned from Yukon to Vancouver a few weeks later, I had dinner at this impressive Thai restaurant in Kitsilano. Dish after dish came out, as I shared a vegetarian version of the "chef's menu" selection.

Sadly I was too overwhelmed by the excellent food to make detailed notes, so I'm merely going to share some photos with you. Trust me - it was all delicious.





Find it at: 1938 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver. maenam.ca

Have fun eating your own path through Vancouver's great dining scene. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment