Friday 14 August 2015

Quirky Signs of New York

They don't call it the Big Apple for nothing. Actually, why do they call it the Big Apple?

Strike that. Instead, check out these weird and/or intriguing signs I spotted on the streets of New York City last year...


I saw the above sign on a wall in Greenwich Village, and wondered if it was a joke. Nope. I found out later that there was once a network of fallout shelters throughout the USA, for use during a nuclear war.


This is the cheery sign outside the entrance of the Morbid Anatomy Museum in the Gowanus neighbourhood of Brooklyn, which opened in 2014. The institution focuses on the art surrounding death, so fair enough I guess.


I spotted the above outside a design studio in Bushwick, part of Brooklyn. Do we see a macabre theme emerging?


One of the more outlandish subway platform signs, at this station serving Little Italy and Chinatown. Love the ear.


Lower East Side ramen joint. Hey, even the Dark Knight has to eat sometimes.


Finally, I saw this on a pinboard in a Bushwick cafe. Go Harlan!

Disclosure: I paid for my own travel to New York, but received discounted accommodation at the Z Hotel NYC and the Novotel Times Square. For info about the city's attractions, check out nycgo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment